BREAKING NEWS: One of two suspects in the Boston Marathon bombing is dead and a massive manhunt is underway for another, authorities said early Friday.
Associated Press: Surviving Boston bomb suspect identified as Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev,19, of Cambridge Mass, a student from Chechnya, Russia.
Boston hospital says suspect #1 had gunshot wounds AND "blast wounds on his torso" when brought in after chase, gunfight
Watertown, MA (WBEN/WBZ-TV/Boston Globe) -- The Middlesex County District Attorney's office has issued a statement, saying one of the Boston Marathon bombing suspects is dead, and a second one is being hunted in Watertown, Massachusetts.
Here is an approximate timeline of the events:
At 5pm the FBI released photos of the 2 Boston Marathon bombing suspects.
Around 10:20 pm - report that campus officer at MIT was shot multiple times and killed.
The suspects then committed an armed carjacking in Cambridge, MA. The victim was kept in the car with the suspects for about 30 minutes. He was released uninjured by the suspects at a gas station in Cambridge.
The victim called police and gave a description of the car. Shortly afterwards, a wild police chase punctuated by gunshots and explosive devices thrown from the car at pursuing police.
During the pursuit, an NBT transit officer was shot and seriously wounded.
One suspect was shot, and captured. Out of concern that he had explosives strapped to himself, he was ordered to strip while police remained a safe distance back. Only when he was naked was he hustled into an ambulance, but he died of his injuries.
(Also out of concern about phone-detonated bombs, reporters in the area had been told to shut off their cell phones.)
An extensive manhunt is ongoing in Watertown, MA, for the second suspect, who is considered armed and dangerous.
Bomb squads are removing unexploded devices thrown along the chase path.
Full coverage continues on WBEN 930 AM and 107.7 FM.