RIPLEY, N.Y. (AP) - A homeowner's repair of a gas line break last December is being blamed for causing an explosion that has leveled his house in western New York.
Chautauqua County fire investigators say Tuesday that over the course of several months, the ground where the homeowner made the repair settled, causing that section of the line to break loose and resulting in an underground gas leak.
On Monday, the gas which had saturated the ground and permeated the basement of the town of Ripley house was ignited by the pilot light on the hot water tank.
The resulting explosion leveled the house. Sheriff's deputies say there were no injuries.