Closing Arguments Set For Friday In Taglianetti Trial
Mayville, NY (WBEN) - The defense rested its case in the Anthony Taglianetti trial on Thursday.
The defense called just one witness to the stand Thursday. After, Taglianetti was asked if he would testify, and he declined.
"Mister Taglianetti chose not to testify. That's a defendant's absolute, fundamental choice and right. That decision is his, and his alone" said Nathaniel Barone, Taglianetti's defense attorney.
Judge John Ward was going to begin closing arguments on Thursday afternoon. Barone objected, saying that it would be "completely unreasonable" to expect the defense to proceed so quickly. Judge Ward let the jury decide what they would prefer, and they chose to postpone closing arguments until Friday at 9:30AM in the hopes of receiving the case in the early afternoon.
"There's so many different things that come up during trial, and that have arisen during this particular trial that we really need the opportunity and the extra time to talk to our client in order to adequately discuss with him and prepare for closing summations" said Barone.
Taglinanetti is accused of fatally shooting Clymer Schools superintendent Keith Reed last year. Reed had an affair with Taglianetti's wife, which prosecutors say led to Taglianetti driving from Virginia to confront him.