CBS Weekend Roundup

Text Us: #30930
Phone: (800) 616 WBEN
Business: (716) 843-0600
A   A   A

Armed Standoff Ends in Concord

Concord, N.Y. (WBEN) - The standoff has ended in the Town of Concord where The Erie County Sheriffs Department along with the FBI and other law enforcement agencies had been on the scene of what was described as an "active shooter" in the Town of Boston.  It all began to unfold late Sunday when police were called to the Brown Hill address near Zimmerman Road about a man with a gun. 

HEAR:  Complete Law Enforcement News Briefing Following Standoff

WBEN's Dave Debo reports the situation has ended with no injuries and the suspect is in custody as of 9:30am after hours of negotiation and communication.  The suspects' family and neighbors from approximately eight homes were safely removed from the residence after 10:30 Sunday night.  The suspect is identified as 48 year old Matthew Eck of Concord. He is charged with two counts of first degree attempted murder for firing at sheriff's deputies during the standoff. Eck is being held without bail at Erie County Holding Center pending arraignment at Concord Town Court  Medication and alcohol may have been factors leading to the incident.

Erie County Sheriff Tim Howard tells reporters there was little information released overnight because it was believed the suspect was monitoring the media reports for information.  Howard also says the suspect fired "multiple shots were fired in the direction of the police vehicles".  The suspect was reportely firing from a rifle.  Investigators have yet to go inside the residence to continue the investigation.  The Erie County Sheriff's Air One helicopter was integral in the process overnight, providing images and information from overhead.

The FBI's Holly Hubert says the negotiation lasted for hours and was complicated by the fact much of is was via text.  While there was extensive communication, there were times of "silence" between law enforcers and the "agitated" suspect that lasted up to 90 minutes.

The search dragged on for hours, as police tried to make sure the shooter had not moved outside their perimeter. The Erie County Sheriff's helicopter, Air One, was part of the manhunt. Because the search area extended to the shadow of Route 219, that freeway was closed to traffic for nearly three hours, along an 11.4-mile stretch from Boston State Road to the north and Genesee Road to the south.  Route 219 was re-opened to traffic shortly after 2:30 a.m., even as police continued to surround the home on Brown Hill Road.

The initial calls to police came from a neighbor and reports of shots fired.  Police were on the scene within minutes of that first call indicating gunshots had been fired.  Deputies Bradford Ballantyne and Jonathan Hanna were first on the scene.  The incident is being characterized as "domestic" in nature and the family has been "helpful and cooperative" according to Sheriff Howard.

Also assisting in the overnight incident were the New York State Police, Orchard Park Police, U.S. Border Patrol, NYS DEC Police and the Boston Volunteer Fire Department along with other area fire companies.

Sheriff Howard, who survived a tense standoff years ago himself and had to kill a gunman that shot his partner, said his personal experiences helped him in dealing with the law enforcers on the front line of the incident.

from the Erie County Sheriff's Office- here's some pictures of the cars that were hit

Filed Under :  
Locations : BostonNew York
People : Dave Debo
A record cold February will be be one to......
View Results