On Thursday (appropriately), the lineup for the Canalside Concerts, including the popular Thursdays at Canalside series, was announced to the public. In addition, there will be four ticketed concerts, and a series of battle of the bands contests to determine what local bands will open the show on Thursdays.
“Faster and louder or slower and soulful -music is about diversity of sound and rhythm and that’s also what Canalside is all about this summer season,” said ECHDC Chairman Robert Gioia. “We will rock it out some nights and feel the blues on others- 2014 will be the summer that has something for everyone who gets to the waterfront when mikes are on and the guitars are plugged in.”
This will be the third year since the free Thursday concert series moved from Lafayette Square to Canalside.
Free Thursday lineup – concerts start at 6 p.m.
- 06/12: Dj Milk, Soul Rebels, Shaggy
- 06/19: Conehead Buddha, moe.
- 06/26: July Talk , Sam Roberts Band
- 07/03: Boy & Bear , Hey Rosetta!, Gord Downie & The Sadies
- 07/10: Fitz and the Tantrums
- 07/17: The Oh Hellos , Lake Street Dive
- 07/24: Extreme
- 07/31: Sheila E
- 08/07: BPO Rock Show: Earth, Wind & Fire + Michael Jackson
- 08/14: TBD
- 06/21: Tedeschi Trucks Band
- 06/28: George Thorogood & The Destroyers
- 08/08: Girl Talk
- Fourth Event TBD
Sunday night’s Battle of the Bands will feature blues, alternative, lady lead bands and other categories of local bands facing off, with the winner getting a chance to open the show on a Thursday.
This is how the battle will break out:
Local Favorites “Battle of the Bands”
5 Sundays: 6/8/14- 7/13/14
- June 8: Blues - opens for TTB on 6/21
- July 6: Americana - opens for Lake Street Dive on 7/17.
- July 13: Jazz/R&B - opens for Sheila E on 7/31.
- July 20: Alternative - opens for Fitz & The Tantrums on 7/10.
- July 27: Lady Leads – opens for TBD on 8/14